- This article is about the Takara Tomy release. For the Hasbro release, see Fafnir F3 8 Nothing.
Drain Fafnir 8 Nothing (ドレインファブニル・エイト・ナッシング, Dorēn Fabunīru Eito Nasshingu) is a Stamina Type Beyblade released by Takara Tomy as part of the Burst System as well as the God Layer System. It was released as a Starter in Japan on April 29th, 2017 for 1404円.
Energy Layer - Drain Fafnir
- Main article: Energy Layer - Drain Fafnir
Takara Tomy's Drain Fafnir is a round left-spin Stamina Type God Layer that features three dragon heads meant to represent this Layer's namesake: Fafnir, a dragon from Norse mythology. These dragon heads have clear plastic "horns" and rubber "F"s that sticks out slightly at two points along the perimeter. Three claws grasp the center God Chip. These molding details give Drain Fafnir a rough perimeter and a high Outward Weight Distribution (OWD) by concentrating the weight along the perimeter. Drain Fafnir features three teeth of medium-high length, akin to those found on Lost Longinus. As part of the God Layer System, Drain Fafnir features a gimmick: the rubber "F"s aid in the ability to Spin-Equalize with a right-spin opponent.
While the rough perimeter of Drain Fafnir may imply recoil, the left-spin nature of this Layer reduces recoil against a right-spin opponent. Even when against a left-spin opponent, the protrusions are too stubby to cause any noticeable recoil and Stamina loss. When spinning slower than a right-spin opponent, the rubber "F"s, "horns" and round shape of Drain Fafnir allows for Spin-Equalization, where the Layers of two opposite spinning Beyblades work akin to gears, increasing friction and equally distribute their spin.
When against a left-spin opponent, Drain Fafnir cannot Spin-Equalize; in these matchups the clear plastic "horn" of each dragon head receives the initial impact and the friction of the rubber "F"s act as brakes, stopping the opposing Layer and potentially Bursting them. However, if Drain Fafnir has less Burst Resistance than the left-spin opponent, the friction of the rubber "F"s can cause a Drain Fafnir combination to Self-Burst.
Forge Disc - 8
- Main article: Forge Disc - 8
8, like other even numbered Core Discs, is symmetrical and elliptical in shape in order to facilitate a Disc Frame. Each side features four protrusions, each molded into the shape of an "8". Each of the lower loops of the "8"s features gaps, akin to Knuckle, which takes weight away from the center and creates high Outward Weight Distribution (OWD) and subsequent Flywheel Effect, features theoretically perfect for Stamina. Furthermore, 8 is one of the heaviest Discs in the game, heavier than Heavy, Gravity, 2, 4, and 6 and its use can bolster a Beyblade's Knock-Out Resistance and Attack potential. However, like other heavy discs with high Outward Weight Distribution (OWD) such as Gravity and Ring, the use of 8 severely decreases a Beyblade's Burst Resistance as a trade off.
Performance Tip - Nothing
- Main article: Performance Tip - Nothing
Nothing features a low angled, spring loaded cone shaped tip. In theory the tip is meant to prevent harsh impacts against the stadium floor from launch, preventing accidental Self-Knock-Outs from bouncing.
However, the gimmick means that the tip is unfixed and is capable of tilting somewhat which creates poor Stability. This poor Stability is further made dangerous by the molding of the cone which as a slightly raised lip around the center, akin to Metal Fight Beyblade's Eternal Wide Defense or Wave Wide Defense which when knocked off balance the lip creates a second point of contact, creating acceleration which reduces Stamina. As such, Nothing is outclassed in terms of Stamina by Revolve and Atomic.
- Drain Fafnir 8 Nothing "Crystal Blue Version"
- Drain Fafnir 8 Nothing "Crimson White Version"
- Drain Fafnir 8 Nothing "Evil Dragon Version"
- Drain Fafnir is based off of Fafnir, a son of the dwarf king Hreidmar, in Norse mythology. Fafnir was cursed by Andvari's ring and gold, turning him into a dragon.
- This is reinforced by Drain Fafnir's avatar: a yellow and dark-yellow scaled dragon with six green eyes and gems on the torso, blue spines, three-digit claws with two-pronged stingers, and a tail stinger.
- It is the first God Layer System Bey to not have a Disc Frame.
- The password to access Drain Fafnir 8 Nothing "Evil Dragon Version" and "Crimson White Version" in the Beyblade Burst God 3DS game is "Ufurukesetamo" for the "Evil Dragon Version" and "Nekesarotsunuha" for the "Crimson White Version". It must be written in Hiragana letters.
- Drain Fafnir is the first of three Beys in Evolution to keep its original Japanese name in the English version of the anime; the others being Blast Jinnius and Shelter Regulus.
- It is also the first Beyblade in the Burst Series to do so.
- All Fafnir Beys have retained their original Japanese names.