Doomscizor D2, known as Dark Deathscyther (ダークデスサイザー, Dāku Desusaizā) in Japan, is an Energy Layer released as part of the Burst System as well as the Dual Layer System. It debuted with the release of the B-42 Booster Dark Deathscyther Force Jaggy on April 29th, 2016. It later debuted in western countries with the release of the Doomscizor D2 & Unicrest U2 Dual Pack.
Doomscizor D2, like its predecessor Deathscyther, is an Attack Type Layer that features four smooth sided, compact blades. Two of the blades are made of colored plastic with a sloped design that allow for small amounts of Upper Attack and Destabilization, the other two are made of transparent plastic and are not sloped, meant for Burst Attack.
Despite being advertised as an Attack Type Layer, Dark Deathscyther does not perform well in Attack Combinations but excels in both Stamina and Defense Combinations due to its incredibly round design. Because the blades are so compact, the protrusions are incredibly shallow and create little recoil, that along with the Layer's strong teeth makes it very resistant to Bursts and KOs. In comparison to its predecessor, Dark Deathscyther's Flywheel Effect is not as great as Deathscyther, but it is still comparable and unlike Deathscyther, this Layer's teeth will not wear down with use.
However, Dark Deathscyther has a history of breaking. There is one mold variation in an attempt to fix this issue where the plastic was made thicker and reinforced with bars. However this did not solve the breakage problem, so it is recommended to find a second generation Layer and to be prepared to replace it.
Use in Stamina Combinations
Dark Deathscyther can be put to use in the Stationary Stamina Combination Dark Deathscyther Spread/Gravity/Knuckle Revolve/Orbit. Due to Revolve's high procession time and Orbit's free rotating nature, the Combination is able to withstand hits without major Stamina loss. In addition, the wide ring around Revolve and Orbit's ball shaped tip increase the Combination's Defense.
Use in Mobile Stamina Combinations
Dark Deathscyther was a Top-Tier and commonly available Energy Layer for Stamina Combinations and was a key part in the Burst metagame to the point of previously being banned. However, with the release of the much heavier SwitchStrike/God Layers such as Alter Chronos and Maximum Garuda, Dark Deathscyther's comparatively light weight makes it far less useful in the current metagame.
As such, Dark Deathscyther is not a must have but is instead a welcome addition to any blader's collection.
Differences in the Hasbro Version
As such, Doomscizor D2 is recommended for collection purposes only.
- B-42 Dark Deathscyther Force Jaggy (black)
- B-61 Random Booster Vol. 4 Quad Quetzalcoatl.J.P - 03: Dark Deathscyther Jerk Orbit (translucent blue)
- B-61 Random Booster Vol. 4 Quad Quetzalcoatl.J.P - 07: Dark Deathscyther Vertical Gyro (translucent yellow)
- BG-05 Random Layer Collection Vol. 5 - 01: Dark Deathscyther (translucent red)
- B-00 Dark Deathscyther Triple Blow (Bloody Red Ver.) (Lawson Lottery Big 4) (red and white)
- B-00 Dark Deathscyther Triple Blow (Mirage Clear Ver.) (Lawson Lottery Big 4) (clear)
- C0598 Doomscizor D2 & Unicrest U2 Dual Pack - Doomscizor D2 Force Jaggy (Dark Green)
- C0600 Doomscizor D2 Force Jaggy (Black)
- C2331 Doomscizor D2 Force Jaggy (Maroon)
- E1067 Tyros T2 & Doomscizor D2 Dual Pack - Doomscizor D2 Limited Orbit