- This article is about the Takara Tomy version. For the Hasbro version, see Energy Layer - Quetziko Q2.
Quad Quetzalcoatl (クアッドケツァルカトル, Kuaddo Ketsarukatoru) is an Energy Layer released by Takara Tomy as part of the Burst System as well as the Dual Layer System. It debuted in Japan with the release of the B-61 Random Booster Vol. 4 Quad Quetzalcoatl.J.P on October 22nd, 2016.
Takara Tomy's Quad Quetzalcoatl is a wide and thick Energy Layer designed for Defense. The top of the Layer features a snake's head with its tongue flickering out, the center features a loop of molded scales like a coiled serpent, the bottom features a snake's tail tip and the perimeter is molded like the hook of a cobra or large wings, all meant to represent this Layer's namesake; the feathered serpent Quetzalcoatl, the Aztec god of wind and learning.
While Quad Quetzalcoatl may appear round at first glance, on closer inspection this Layer is actually tear drop shaped. The top and bottom of this drop are open to allow the serpent's head and tail tip to protrude in order to facilitate this Layer's gimmick, counter attack. In theory the large wings are to deflect attacks, the tail tip and serpent head are meant to create points of recoil in order to Burst the opponent. While this gimmick creates a design akin to Xcalibur, in practice it almost always hinders Quad Quetzalcoatl's performance. The tear drop shape of the wings is unable to deflect attacks as well as a round shape and the snake head and tail tip do not protrude far enough to create the desired Burst Attack, instead slowing a Quad Quetzalcoatl-based Combination down and while Quad Quetzalcoatl does have four teeth of medium-high length, the Burst Resistance is reduced by the recoil of the counter attack gimmick and does not compensate for the poor Stamina.
While Takara Tomy's Quad Quetzalcoatl does have decent Burst Resistance, the recoil of the counter attack gimmick severely reduces the Stamina of this Layer. Furthermore, while it has a similar shape to Xcalibur, the tail tip does not protrude as far as Xcalibur's sword tip, making Quad Quetzalcoatl unsuitable for Attack Combinations either. Finally, with the release of the SwitchStrike/God Layer System, Quad Quetzalcoatl is comparatively too light.
As such, Takara Tomy's Quad Quetzalcoatl is recommended for collection purposes only.
- B-61 Random Booster Vol. 4 Quad Quetzalcoatl.J.P - 01: Quad Quetzalcoatl Jerk Press (yellow green)
- BG-06 Random Layer Collection Vol. 6 - 01: Quad Quetzalcoatl (translucent blue)
- B-95 Random Booster Vol. 8 Shelter Regulus.5S.Tw - 06: Quad Quetzalcoatl 4Star Flugel
- Quad Quetzalcoatl is the second Beyblade to be based off of Quetzalcoatl. The first being Death Quetzalcoatl 125RDF. However, unlike Death Quetzalcoatl; which is a Balance Type, Quad Quetzalcoatl is a Defense Type.