- This article is about the Takara Tomy version. For the Hasbro version, see Energy Layer - Unicrest U2.
Unlock Unicorn (アンロックユニコーン, Anrokku Yunikōn) is an Energy Layer released by Takara Tomy as part of the Burst System, as well as the Dual Layer System. It debuted in Japan with the release of the B-56 Booster Unlock Unicorn Down Needle on August 6th, 2016.
Takara Tomy's Unlock Unicorn is a round Energy Layer designed for Defense that features ten blades, nine of which are made up of clear plastic and make the "mane" and one which is made of colored plastic and makes "the horn" of this Layer's namesake; the mythical Unicorn, featured in the center.
The clear blades of the "mane" are smooth, compact and placed in a manner that deflects oncoming attacks, creating a low recoil design, while the single "horn" is shaped differently to create this Layer's gimmick; counter attack. Since the horn is much thinner and rests at a much higher angle than the rest of the blades, it creates a sizable gap that is, in theory, meant to provide Smash Attack to Burst the opponent and/or drain their Stamina. However, in practice, the angle and direction of the horn is ill-suited for such a purpose and instead creates a point of recoil, that is more recoil heavy when off balance, that drains Unlock Unicorn's Stamina.
This problem is further exacerbated by its teeth, which are very short and weak. While they can withstand the low recoil provided by the mane, the recoil provided by the gap makes Unlock Unicorn very prone to Bursts.
While the weight distribution of Unlock Unicorn does lend itself well to Stamina purposes, this does little to compensate for the recoil and teeth issues.
While Takara Tomy's Unlock Unicorn does have some capabilities for Stamina, it is still outclassed by other Energy Layers such as Deathscyther and Dark Deathscyther, plus the recoil of the self-destructive counter attack gimmick and weak teeth render this Layer outclassed for competitive use.
As such, Takara Tomy's Unlock Unicorn is recommended for collection purposes only.
- B-56 Unlock Unicorn Down Needle (white)
- B-67 Random Booster Vol. 5 Gigant Gaia.Q.F - 03: Unlock Unicorn Quarter Accel (translucent red)
- B-67 Random Booster Vol. 5 Gigant Gaia.Q.F - 06: Unlock Unicorn Upper Trans (translucent black)
- BG-05 Random Layer Collection Vol. 5 - 03: Unlock Unicorn (translucent light blue)
- The anime portrayal of Unlock Unicorn features a much longer and sharper horn point than the actual Energy Layer.