|This article is considered a Provisional Article.|
As the contents of this article are still being researched, some of the information listed in this article may be incomplete or inaccurate.
Please visit the WBO discussion thread for this article to discuss the draft of this article.
Geist Fafnir 8'Proof Absorb (ガイストファブニル・エイトダッシュ・プルーフ・アブソーブ, Gaisuto Fabunīru Eito Dasshu Purūfu Abusōbu) is a Stamina Type Beyblade released by Takara Tomy as part of the Burst System as well as the Cho-Z Layer System. It was released in Japan as a special recolor (Saint Dragon Ver.) on TBA. It is the upgraded version of Geist Fafnir 8' Absorb and later evolves into Mirage Fafnir Nothing 2S.
Energy Layer - Geist Fafnir
Main article: Energy Layer - Geist Fafnir
Takara Tomy's Geist Fafnir, like its predecessor Drain Fafnir, is a Stamina Type Energy Layer that features a triangular perimeter and three side profile dragon heads with an "F" along each, meant to represent this Layer's namesake; Fafnir the Nordic Dragon of Greed. As part of the Cho-Z Layer System, Geist Fafnir features metal in its design; in this case, interspersed between the dragon heads. The inclusion of metal makes this Layer heavier than most God Layers.
Geist Fafnir also features gimmicks: The first is that this Layer is meant to spin Left, opposite to most other Beyblades. The second is that the "F"s are made of rubber, akin to both its predecessor and the L-Drago II Clear Wheel from Metal Fight Beyblade. The inclusion of rubber aids in this Layer's ability to equalize spin with a Right-Spin opponent. The third is that the Layer features an automatic mode change gimmick, akin to Variares from Metal Fight Beyblade.
While the triangular shape and rough perimeter of Geist Fafnir may imply recoil, the Left-Spin nature of this Layer reduces recoil against a Right-Spin opponent. When spinning slower than a Right-Spin opponent, the rubber "F"s of Geist Fafnir allows for Spin-Equalization, where the Layers of two opposite spinning Beyblades work akin to gears and equally distribute their spin, by acting as a cushion against impact, increasing friction between Layers, acting as a "hook" for the other Beyblade to catch into and propel Geist Fafnir faster and reducing recoil to increase the rate of contact. Due to the greater exposed surface area of the rubber, the effect is more prominent than in Drain Fafnir, though the greater weight makes the effect far less pronounced against lightweight opponents.
When against a Left-Spin opponent, Geist Fafnir cannot equalize spin and the rubber will instead act as brakes. If the opponent has less Burst Resistance than Geist Fafnir, then the friction can potentially Burst the opponent. However, if the opponent has greater Burst Resistance than Geist Fafnir, the friction of the rubber can cause a Geist Fafnir Combination to self-Burst or severely lose Stamina.
At low spin speeds, the rubber blades will extend outwards, creating a perimeter akin to a reversed Winning Valkyrie, meant to improve Spin-Equalization potential at low spin speeds by exposing more rubber. At high spin speeds, Geist Fafnir's rubber blades will retract inwards, creating a rounder perimeter akin to its predecessor, Drain Fafnir, meant to prevent Spin-Equalization against a slower Right-Spin opponent by exposing less rubber. However, the large amount of rubber in Geist Fafnir's design makes the gimmick ineffective.
Forge Disc - 8'
Main article: Forge Disc - 8'
In-depth information for the 8' Forge Disc will be placed here once drafting has been completed for it. Please be patient.
Disc Frame - Proof
Main article: Disc Frame - Proof
In-depth information for the Proof Disc Frame will be placed here once drafting has been completed for it. Please be patient.
Performance Tip - Absorb
Main article: Performance Tip - Absorb
Absorb features a spring-loaded sharp tip of a small diameter surrounded by a free-spinning ring, akin to a combination of Revolve and Nothing. The sharp tip of Absorb provides low friction with the stadium floor, resulting in high Stamina and Burst Defense properties. The wide diameter of the ring gives Absorb high Precession time and Spin-Equalization potential in Opposite-Spin match-ups. Compared to similar Performance Tips, Absorb's Precession time is equal to Revolve's but lower than Eternal's.
The spring-loaded tip has two purposes, the first is to prevent harsh impacts against the stadium floor from launch, preventing accidental Self-Knock-Outs from bouncing. The second is that when the tip is fully depressed, the center sharp tip is retracted and the ring is locked in place, creating a hollow flat tip with aggressive movement akin to Zephyr. However, without a mechanism to keep the spring compressed, this aggressive movement only happens briefly upon first landing.
- Like its predecessor Drain Fafnir 8 Nothing and Geist Fafnir 8' Absorb, Geist Fafnir's name is based off of Fafnir, a son of the dwarf king Hreidmar in Norse mythology who was cursed by Andvari's ring and gold, transforming him into a dragon, which is enforced by Fafnir's dragon avatar.
- The 'Geist' portion is the German word meaning ghost or spirit, and correlating with mind and intellect.
- Geist Fafnir's avatar is an upgrade of Drain Fafnir's with alterations:
- The yellow scales are now orange-yellow.
- The teeth are now part of its mandible.
- The six green eyes are now red.
- The feet, inner thighs, mandible and spike on its head are colored dark-red.
- It has white scales along the tail, shoulders, wings, torso, the knees, and the first digit of the wings.
- It now has four wings.
- The spines running from the neck down to the tail and its wing talons are now blue-raspberry.
- The claws are now four-digit and white.
- The dactylopatagium is now dark-blue.
- The tail spear is now tipped with a blade.
- And the gems on the torso and knee caps are blue.
- In the Turbo anime, Geist Fafnir possesses a yellow Level Chip.
- Geist Fafnir is the seventh of nine Beys in Beyblade Burst Turbo to retain its original name in both the Japanese and English versions of the anime; the others being Z Achilles, Emperor Forneus, Archer Hercules, Revive Phoenix, Vise Leopard, Hazard Kerbeus, Right Artemis, and Air Knight.
- Geist Fafnir 8'Proof Absorb is the only combo from Burst Turbo to appear in Beyblade Burst Rise.
- Geist Fafnir is the only Beyblade that Free has that does not use a Nothing Driver.