Lain Valhalla, known as Lean Walhalla (レーン・ヴァルハラ, Rēn Varuhara) in Japan, is the main antagonist of the anime/manga series, Beyblade Burst Surge. He fights with his Beyblade, Vex Lucius Mobius 2D. He is a member of the Raging Bulls, and the former student of Shu Kurenai. Following his loss to Shu, Lain evolved his Bey into Lucius Endbringer Kou Drift.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Biography
- 4 Beyblades
- 5 Beybattles
- 6 Official Description
- 7 Anime Appearances
- 8 Relationships
- 9 Quotes
- 10 Videos
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Trivia
- 13 References
Lain is a tall boy with pale skin, yellow eyes with thin rings, pointed incisors, magenta markings on his face, and spiked up magenta hair with lighter pink highlights.
His attire consists of a dark-blue sweatshirt with light blue markings on the front and a mint green fur collar, indigo pants, red boots with mint green collars and light-rose soles, three red-buckled violet belts on the arms and two on the thighs, a harness-like violet belt on the torso with red buckles and red studs, and a dark-red, square-cuffed fingerless glove on his left hand. When he's not Beyblading, Lain wears a black coat with four violet buttons and red-buckled straps on the chest section.
When he resonates with his Beyblade, Lain's eyes and facial markings glow. After his power increases, the light pink highlights in Lain's hair glow cyan and the belts around his arms, legs, and torso break loose.
Outside of battle, Lain appears as a calm and aloof Blader; keeping to himself and avoiding interacting with others. But, Lain's reason for becoming a Blader is to fulfill his unstoppable dangerous Flare.
Thus, his aggression made him unafraid to confront the Beyblade legends by threatening and intimidating them. He told Lui that he will fear him, told Shu that he will blast all of his Flare at him the next time they meet, and threatened Valt with ending his Beyblade career to fulfill his flare. He also tends to growl and roar in the battle to show his dangerous aggression.
Due to this, he ignored all Bladers that cannot fulfill his unstoppable dangerous Flare and shown to be downgrading towards others who he believes are incompetent; once Lain defeats someone, he loses interest in battling them again. This is shown in his tag battle with Hyuga against Aiger and Hikaru; he told Hyuga to stay out of his way, and completely disregarded Hikaru's existence during battle despite the fact that the latter attacked him. He also scolds Hyuga and refuses to use his launcher when he destroyed his, even to the point of whacking it out of his hands but using Shu's. He even shouted that all of the Bladers in the arena weak, daring more people to come and challenge him in an arena in New York. When he won the A Group Battle Royale against Silas, Dante, Lui, and Hikaru, he declared that the Legends serve no purpose and that Valt Aoi and Aiger Akabane were the only people worthy of his attention.
Due to this, he was not satisfied with himself when he hunted down Free, inspiring him to upgrade his Origin Uranus to Vex Lucius to have more power.
Due to this, he complained that Shu's training that cannot fulfill his dangerously unstoppable Flare.
Though his losses are rare, he becomes extremely angry when he does lose, threatening to come after the person who beats him, and humiliate them if he wins the next time. He did this to Aiger Akabane in Episode 14.
Despite his ruthless and destructive behavior, he does show a gentler and friendlier side when around his pet hedgehog Harry, shown by him petting his quills gently.
After being defeated by Shu, Lain became annoyed and frustrated while also rejected the former’s offer to stop his destructive action and later evolved Lucius to Lucius Endbringer Kou Drift to get revenge on him, which he succeeded, although he was not satisfied after the battle as he destroyed his Beystadium in a fit of anger and frustration.
During the events of the Ultimate Tag Series,he was still aggressive against Shu and their opponents, but as they make progress, he started to get conflicted when the Hizashi brothers won all of their matches.
When they reached the semi-finals, he and Shu battled against Valt and Rantaro. He was still conflicted about himself, but seeing Shu and Valt battle made him finally get excited about Beyblade and his Flare resonated with their battle style, allowing him to make his Flare convert into Friendship Flare.
He started to appreciate his battles and even got excited when he and Shu got to fight against Hikaru and Hyuga, but they lost. This instead caused Lain to finally understand the true meaning of Beyblade and he developing a friendly rivalry with Hikaru and Hyuga.
Lain was a solo rookie blader with a strange power called Flare. It is mostly likely a dark form of resonance that increases every time he defeats an opponent or loses to a worthy one. When he was new to Beyblade, Lain decided to make the very first Superking bey, Origin Uranus, setting the precedent for many beys to follow. He entered an arena in New York with Uranus and completely destroyed every challenger, winning against everyone with a burst. He shouted that all of the bladers in the arena were weak, daring more people to come and challenge him. Shu Kurenai, watching on the sidelines, witnessed this, and became worried. After Lain leaves the arena, Shu confronts him, telling him that the darkness of his Flare will eventually consume him. This caught Lain off guard, as he had never spoken to a legend before. Smiling, Shu offered Lain a spot on the Raging Bulls, the best team in America. In exchange, Lain would have to do everything Shu tells him. In so doing, Shu had hoped to try to reign in Lain's violence and show him how fun Blading can actually be.
Shu privately trains Lain, teaching him about the importance of skill, strategy, and analyzation. "Analyze everything, even your opponents breathing," He also teaches Lain how to properly launch, making him launch while standing on a tightrope, even yelling at him, telling him to keep his balance every time he falls. Lain's Flare and ego grew once he mastered balance through launching. He claimed that there is nothing he couldn't do. After a couple of days, Shu tells Lain to launch over a stadium. The legend emphasizes looking at the angle of his opponent's launch. Lain tells him that what he is saying is common sense. The two launch their beys, and due to his extreme strength, Lain breaks his launcher, grumbling about its weakness as he picks up its pieces. Shu tells him that launching isn't about strength, insisting that his student should be less intense during launching and focus all of his power into the moment he launches. Shrugging this off, Lain tells Shu that he does things differently. This angers Shu, who reminds Lain of his promise to do whatever he says. Gritting his teeth, Lain makes his launches less intense only in front of Shu to satisfy him.
Realizing that the training is only making Lain stronger and not less violent, Shu arranged to have him battle Free De La Hoya. Free had beaten Shu before, so the latter assumed that the former could beat Lain and set his ideals straight about Beyblade. Right before the battle, Lain predicted the outcome of the match by stating that Uranus will destroy Fafnir. Sure enough, Lain's prediction came true, and he defeated Free, which further fueled his Flare.
Despite the win, Lain was not satisfied with himself. He wanted more power, so he upgraded First Uranus to an entirely new bey, Vex Lucius. He declared that this new bey is the strongest in the world and is fit for a blader with his strength. Knowing that Shu was spying on him, he turns around and shows the legend his newest bey. From then on, he sought to further increase his Flare, vowing that he will end the blading careers of all the Legends.
Beyblade Burst Surge
- Origin Uranus Mobius 2D: Lain's initial Lightning Beyblade in Surge.
- Vex Lucius Mobius 2D: Lain's second Lightning Beyblade in Surge after he evolved it from Origin Uranus.
- Lucius Endbringer Kou Drift: Lain's Limit Breaker Beyblade in Surge.
- Lightning Launch: When a Blader has achieved complete synchronization with his Beyblade, the Launcher will illuminate and sparkle, granting the bey a temporary increase in speed and power.
- Vexing Wall: With the 2D's rubber blades spinning, Lucius channels power through the Vex Ring as a boost in power to the rubber blades, knocking back the opposing Beyblade.
- Vexing Crush: Going on the offensive, Lucius bashes into the opposing Beyblade twice before ramming it into the Beystadium's wall with the 2D Barrier. Lucius then pins the opposing Beyblade between itself and the wall, creating a crushing pincer attack.
- Vexing Disaster: With the barrier blades stored in the 2D Chassis, Lucius channels power through the 12 blades on the Vex Ring and charges at the opposing Beyblade with full force.
- Final Limit Breaker: This move activates the Limit Breaker System of the Endbringer Ring, causing the Ring to transform. This causes the Endbringer Ring to open into two in an explosive action, becoming a two free-spinning Ring that deflects the opposing Bey's attacks.
- Final Wall: With its Limit Break system activated, Lucius channels power through the Endbringer Ring and forms an energy barrier around the ring, knocking back the opposing Beyblade.
|Beyblade Burst Surge|
|Lui Shirosagi||08||Win (2-0)|
|Hyuga Hizashi (flashback)||09||Win|
|Unknown Blader (flashback)||09||Win|
|Free De La Hoya (flashback)||09||Win|
|Hikaru Hizashi, Dante Koryu, Lui Shirosagi, & Silas Karlisle (Battle Royale)||11||Win|
|Hikaru Hizashi & Aiger Akabane (with Hyuga Hizashi)||12||Lose (0-1)|
|Dante Koryu & Silas Karlisle (with Aiger Akabane)||13||Win (1-0)|
|Aiger Akabane||14||Win (2-0)|
|Hyuga & Hikaru Hizashi||15||Win (4-0)|
|Valt Aoi||15-16||Win (3-1)|
|Shu Kurenai||17||Lose (0-2)|
|Shu Kurenai||18||Win (2-0)|
|Hikaru & Hyuga Hizashi (with Valt Aoi; simulation)||18||No Contest|
|Hikaru & Hyuga Hizashi (with Shu Kurenai)||19||Win (1-0)|
|Aiger Akabane & Ranjiro Kiyama (with Shu Kurenai)||20||Win (1-0)|
|Dante Koryu & Lui Shirosagi (with Shu Kurenai)||22||Win (1-0)|
|Free De La Hoya & Silas Karlisle (with Shu Kurenai)||23||Win (1-0)|
|Valt Aoi & Rantaro Kiyama (with Shu Kurenai)||24||Lose (0-1)|
|Hikaru Hizashi & Hyuga Hizashi (with Shu Kurenai)||26||Lose (1-2)|
Lain is said to be the strongest Blader of his generation and he seeks to prove it by defeating every Blading legend. In the heat of battle, Lain’s ferocity manifests as a fiery flare around his body. Locked in an all-consuming quest for power, he wants to see just how bright his flare can grow. Lain may be a prickly customer, but he’s got one soft spot: his hedgehog companion Harry, who never strays far from his side.
- Episode 04 - Listen to Your Bey's Voice! (Visioned)
- Episode 05 - Illusory Dragon! Mirage Fafnir! (Visioned)
- Episode 06 - Dream Team! Tag Battle! (Visioned, flashback)
- Episode 07 - Conquering the Ogre's Dungeon!
- Episode 08 - The Jet-Black Sun! Vex Lucius!
- Episode 09 - Is This a Dream?! Or Is This a Nightmare?! (flashback)
- Episode 10 - Rise to Victory! Triumph Dragon!
- Episode 11 - The Great Revolution! Legend Festival!
- Episode 12 - Hyuga and Lain vs. Hikaru and Aiger!
- Episode 13 - A True Hero! Tag Battle Style!
- Episode 14 - Gotta Win! Going All-Out!
- Episode 15 - Defeat Valt!
- Episode 16 - Grand Finale! Valt vs. Lain!
- Episode 17 - Spirit of Fire! World Spryzen!
- Episode 18 - Counterattack! Lucius Endbringer!
- Episode 19 - Tag-Team! Ultimate Partner!
- Episode 20 - Raging Battle! Defeating the Storm!
- Episode 21 - Crash and Clash! Battle of Legends!
- Episode 22 - Friendly Fire?! Final Limit Breaker!
- Episode 23 - Scorching Battle! Dauntless Bravery!
- Episode 24 - We Can Do It! Or Maybe Not!
- Episode 25 - Confidence! Cowardice? Carefree-ness?!
- Episode 26 - Revolution! The Final Showdown!
Lain and Hyuga have had many interactions, however all of them have ended in an argument. Because Hyuga is not a legend, Lain tries his best to ignore him, even insulting him by calling him an idiot and a weakling. Despite his hostility towards the young blader, witnessing Hyuga's battles increases his Flare, shown during the B Group Battle Royale and during the final tag battle stage of the Legend Festival. When Hyuga challenges Lain to a match, Lucius always glows, telling him to battle the young blader, despite Lain not wanting to do so. Their hate towards each other grew when they were teamed up in a tag battle against Hikaru and Aiger during the Legend Festival. When Hyuga asked him about their plan, Lain simply said that he would take on Aiger, and that Hyuga will stay out of the way, and left without joining him for practice. This, as well as Hyuga's attack on Lain during the battle, causes them to lose.
Lain and Hyuga's aggressiveness towards each other might be due to the fact that both represent opposite ideals. Hyuga regards his bey as the Bey of the Sun, while Lain regards his bey as the Black Bey of the Sun. Both have different views about the Legends, with Hyuga respecting and enjoying his battles with them, and Lain disrespecting them and wanting to end their blading career. They also have opposite ways of battling. Lain values strategy and technique, while Hyuga values direct attacks without strategies.
Lain and Hikaru didn't have any interactions since the Battle Royale in the Legend Festival. However, in seeing the battle between Hyuga and Lain, Hikaru realized that Lain was swallowing Hyperion, so he launched his Bey, making Lain see his Flare and successfully takes Helios' Flare along with Hyperion's while destroying them both at same time.
Shu was originally Lain's mentor. The two met at a Beybattle in New York where Shu witnessed Lain's high power level and ever-growing Flare. Seeing how much Lain reminded him of his past self and not wanting him to go down the same dark path as him, Shu invited Lain to join the Raging Bulls in hopes of helping to train him and keep his Flare under control. However, despite Shu's efforts, including lending Lain his Launcher after his own broke and having him battle Free in the hopes that it would change his views on Beyblade, Lain still sought more power and his Flare still continued to grow. After catching Lain upgrading his then Beyblade, First Uranus into Vex Lucius, Shu became shocked and disappointed at what his former student had become. Later, Shu battled against him and won with a Burst Finish. He even tried to persuade Lain to stop his destructive ways, but Lain rejected Shu.However at the end Shu finally succeeded in freeing Lain of his dark flare.
Just like Valt and Aiger, Lui developed an interest in Lain, as he was able to defeat him. Later, they interact a little in the Legend Festival and Lui see Lain as a worthy rival, as he grows in every battle.
As the biggest legend, Lain has a strong hope to crush Valt, like the previous main antagonist. Shown as three times he predict he will end his career. In the end he does defeat Valt.
Aiger Akabane was one of the two people Lain deemed worthy to defeat.
Harry is Lain's pet hedgehog. Lain usually lets him roam free during his battles. However when he is not battling, he seems to take comfort in petting Harry, enjoying his company, even getting angry when Hyuga chases after his pet. Harry and Lain seem to have similar personalities. Both are easily angered, and generally aggressive towards people. Harry is loyal to Lain, disliking people that he dislikes like Valt Aoi, Aiger Akabane, and Hyuga Hizashi. When Lean confronts people, Harry will pop out of his fur collar and hiss as if he is trying to protect his owner.
- "Strategy and tactics are vital to battling."
- "Guess it's useless talking sense to an idiot." -to Hyuga
- "We want more! Give me and Uranus a real challenge. Excite us."
- "Is there no one in the world who can take on my Flare!?"
- "I am going to foretell the outcome of this battle. You won't even be able to touch my bey."
- "Are you really sure you can control my flare?" to Shu when he asks Lane to join Raging Bulls.
- "TAKE ON MY FLARE!"
- "I wonder how long you can keep up that confidence of yours. I can see it. You're about to lose your composure in the next battle." -to Lui
- "Strategy, technique, reconnaissance, and the bey's ability. I tower above you in all of these and I'll make it painfully clear here and now."
- "You're going to fear me."
- "The launcher's just too weak for my strength." -after breaking his launcher
- "There's nothing I can't do."
- "Weak... too weak. Is there no one out there who can get me serious!?"
- "You're gonna fight Lucifer with that ?"
- "Trash- talking trash?" - to Ranjiro
- "Valt Aoi, I will face you in the finals, and I will end your Beyblade career."
- "Hyuga Asahi. Why do you battle?"
- "Definitely? The likes of you should never say words like definitely !"
- "Come! Both of you at once!" -to the Hizashi Brothers.
- "How frail. Well, do you still think battles are fun?" -after breaking Hyuga and Hikaru's beys.
- "DIE!" -to Valt Aoi.
For a full gallery of Lain, see Lain Valhalla/Gallery.
- Lain is the first Beyblade Burst character to own two different Beyblades that are not generic.
- He is also the first character to own a non-generic Beyblade where the avatar's initial is different from his first initial (Lain and Uranus).
- In the Superking manga, it was revealed that Lain's A-Tier blader rank is number 1, making him ranked 16th in the world.
- Furthermore, before his A-Tier rank was number 1, he went from rank 481 to rank 5 in under a day, causing all the Legendary Bladers to have a meeting about his growth in the manga.
- Lain is the third Burst character to own a pet, along with Cuza Ackermann and Tango Koryu. In his case, it's a hedgehog named Harry.
- His hair bears a striking resemblance to Aiger's when the latter uses his Bey resonance.
- In contrast to most characters who have one extra black ring in their irises (Shu, Lui, etc.), Lain has two rings in each iris.
- Lain is the third Beyblade Burst character to destroy a launcher; the first and second being Xander Shakadera and Aiger Akabane.
- Lain's zodiac is a Virgo.
- He is seen as the Burst counterpart of Rago from the Metal Saga, as they own a dark powered Bey, both want to destroy the world of beyblading.
- Lain's launch has some features similar to Joshua's (as he throws his launcher into the air) and Shu's Crux Boost (except right-handed).
- He is the third character after Arthur Peregrine in the Burst series to have dark power and have a dark themed bey.
- He is the first character to destroy two Beyblades in one battle.
- Lain is one of two Surge characters whose initials are the same as his Bey: Vex Lucius, although this is just for his English initials, the other being Delta Akane.
- Lain is the only character in the anime to have the same initials as his Bey.
- Lain is the only character whose English name has the same initials as his Bey.