- This article is about Friction. For its SlingShock counterpart, see Performance Tip - Friction-S.
Friction (フリクション, Furikushon) is a Performance Tip released by Takara Tomy as part of the Burst System as well as the Cho-Z Layer System. It debuted in Japan with the release of the B-117 Starter Revive Phoenix 10 Friction on July 7th, 2018.
Friction features a wide ball shaped tip that sits at the standard height composed of PolyOxyMethylene (POM) thermoplastic, akin to a combination of Massive and Yielding, surrounded by a ring of rubber, akin to Atomic's free-spinning ring. In theory, the wider tip would increase a Beyblade's Defense by having greater surface area and friction, however in practice, Friction's low friction POM construction reduces much of the Knock-Out Resistance given by the surface area of the ball. Like the tabs of other ball based Performance Tips for Defense, Friction's rubber ring is meant to act as brakes against Knock-Outs at the cost of Stamina by striking against the stadium floor, however, the rubber is situated so high up that it is incapable of reaching the stadium floor at all.
While these features may imply that a Friction combination would be easy to Knock-Out, in reality the heavy weight of Cho-Z and SwitchStrike/God Layers and many Core Discs compensates for the POM construction and the static ball creates greater friction than a free-spinning ball, giving Friction greater Knock-Out Resistance than Atomic or Orbit. Furthermore, the low friction increases the Burst resistance of Friction-based Combinations. However, Friction performs poorly in Spin-Equalization and Opposite-Spin Combinations as the Tip is very easily Destabilized.
Friction features greater Knock-Out Resistance than Atomic or Orbit while having comparable Stamina due to the low friction POM plastic. However, Friction’s poor Stability prevents it from outclassing the aforementioned parts, leaving it as a decent Orbit alternative instead.
As such, Friction is a welcome addition to a blader’s collection.
- B-117 Revive Phoenix 10 Friction
- B-125 Random Booster Vol. 12 Dead Hades.11T.Z' - 03: Archer Hercules Heavy Friction
- B-130 Random Booster Vol. 13 Air Knight.12E.Et - 02: Air Knight 11 Friction
- B-140 Random Booster Vol. 15 - 03: Bushin Dragon 7 Friction Retsu
- B-00 Revive Phoenix 10 Friction (Silver Wing Ver.)
- B-00 Revive Phoenix 10 Friction (Golden Wing Ver.)
- B-00 Revive Phoenix 10 Friction (Blue Wing Ver.)