Variable features a rubber tip, made up of two sets of rubber spikes, that begins at standard height. The spikes are meant to wear down and break off with use so unlike most other rubber tips, Variable will become more aggressive instead of less aggressive over time.
When launched in mint condition the first set of six spikes will create a mildly aggressive pattern at speeds akin to Blow, albeit without the stamina due to the greater friction the rubber has. Due to how tall the first six teeth are and the somewhat brittle nature of the rubber in the Takara Tomy release, the first set of teeth will break off relatively quickly.
When launched after the first set of teeth have given way to the second set of fourteen spikes, Variable's speed increases remarkably, becoming as fast or even faster than Xtreme, due to the now increased surface area and diameter. However, that same speed and diameter increase makes Variable incredibly difficult to control at this stage as banking is difficult to maintain, self Knock-Outs become common and its stamina worsens. Due to the greater number of spikes and their shorter length, Variable does not wear out as quickly at this stage. Of the stages, this stage of Variable is considered the best.
When the second set of spikes break off, what's left is a solid base of rubber. At this point Variable's speed increases further but the aforementioned control and stamina issues become even worse, having trouble even staying on the Tornado Ridge of the Stadium and losing spin too quickly to perform any meaningful attacks when it begins to slow down.
When this tip loses teeth it does become shorter as a result, however the resulting height change is too minimal to cause any noticeable effect on attacks in battle due to the thickness of many Attack Type Layers and does not make up for the numerous issues a worn Variable has.
Use in Attack Combinations
Variable can be put to use in the Attack Combination Legend Spriggan/Sieg Xcalibur 0/2/4/5/7 Bump/Meteor/Vortex Variable (Worn). The high speed of Variable increases the Burst Attack potential of the Legend Spriggan/Sieg Xcalibur Layer's recoil the the 0/2/4/5/7 Bump/Meteor/Vortex Disc and Frame's weight. However, this combination is hard to control due to the worn Variable's speed and wide diameter.
Despite being one of the fastest tips in the game, Variable's lack of control and stamina makes it outclassed by Xtreme; which is able to better maintain a banking pattern while holding comparable speed, Hold; which is better able to stay within the Tornado Ridge and avoid self Knock-Outs while holding comparable speed, and Accel; which has far more control and stamina.
While the high speed can make it useful with Layers such as Legend Spriggan, especially if one does not have great launch strength, Variable is still recommended for collection purposes only.
Differences in the Hasbro Version
In the Hasbro release of Variable, the rubber is of a much softer kind, this makes this version faster on the first six spikes, having a speed in between Accel and Zephyr, and makes it far harder to wear down. However that also means that when it does wear down to the second set of teeth the control problems will be even worse than the Takara Tomy version. Despite the softer rubber however, an unworn Variable settles to the center far too quickly for effective Attack Combinations.
This along with the aforementioned control loss from wear means that Hasbro's Variable is also recommended for collection purposes only.
- B-34 Victory Valkyrie Boost Variable (translucent light blue, black rubber)
- Victory Valkyrie Boost Variable (Fire Knight Ver.)
- B-38 Beyblade Burst Entry Set - Victory Valkyrie Boost Variable
- Victory Valkyrie Boost Variable (Green Ver.) (Green)
- Victory Valkyrie Boost Variable (Tournament Prizes)
- B-49 Random Booster Vol. 3 Yaeger Yggdrasil .G.Y - 06: Storm Spriggan Limited Variable
- B-49 Random Booster Vol. 3 Yaeger Yggdrasil .G.Y - 08: Kaiser Kerbeus Gravity Variable
- Victory Valkyrie Boost Variable (Television Quiz Exclusive) (clear, black rubber)
- B-00 Zillion Zeus Magnum Variable (Gold God Ver.) (gold, black rubber)
- B-00 Booster Dragoon Fantom Gravity Variable (CoroCoro Exclusive - Aniki Ver.)
- B-00 Booster Dragoon Fantom Gravity Variable (wbba. Store Exclusive)
- B9487 Valtryek V2 Boost Variable (opaque blue, black rubber)
- B9498 Epic Rivals Battle Set (opaque blue, black rubber)
- C3401 Apex Attack Pack
- C0706 Avatar Attack Battle Set
- E1048 Spryzen S2 Limited Variable
The driver is known to wear down over time, making it faster the more you use it.