Phi (ファイ, Fai) is the main antagonist of the anime and manga series, Beyblade Burst Turbo. He fights with his Beyblade, Revive Phoenix 10 Friction. He is the the elder twin brother of Hyde. After defeating his brother and consuming Dread Hades' power, Phi transformed his Beyblade into Dread Phoenix 10 Friction.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Biography
- 4 Beyblades
- 5 Battles
- 6 Official Description
- 7 Relationships
- 8 Anime Appearances
- 9 Quotes
- 10 Video
- 11 Gallery
- 12 Trivia
- 13 References
Phi is a tall, fair skinned man with long white hair and two differently colored eyes: a blue right eye and a red left eye. His attire consists of a space-cadet blue sweatshirt with white borders on the sleeves and a red symbol, a crimson coat with a three-pronged tail and a shade of yellow borders and stripes, a white belt with indigo studs and buckle with an orange-red border, indigo diamond-shaped earrings, and burgundy pants fused with a pair of shoes.
After obtaining Dread Phoenix, Phi changed his attire to a black gloved bodysuit similar to his younger brother's, but with dark-red lines on the torso, arm sleeves, and legs. The suit also sports a silver full-connected pauldron with three hexagons, a sleeveless black coat connected underneath it with a white border and interior, a three-pronged tail with red tips and flames at the base, and a two-segmented silver belt that doesn't connect with a dark-red hexagon on each tip.
When he uses his dark power, his eyes' sclerae turn black, his voice becomes distorted, and his aura changes from its fiery red-orange color to a dark purple.
Phi presented himself as a calm, composed, nice and gentle individual upon introduction. However, he slowly revealed his true self: a dangerous, immature, ruthless, sadistic, power-hungry person who wants to become the strongest.
Phi is completely obsessed with destroying powerful Bladers thanks to a strong, evil connection between him and his Bey, Phoenix. Calling himself the 'Lord of Destruction', he has destroyed 5 beys in total and Burst all the Beys in the Battle Royale. During this season, he coveted the resonance of Aiger Akabane and waited for when he would become an opponent worthy to destroy. During the Battleship Cruise, he also watched the battles to see who would be a worthy opponent to destroy. And when he upgraded his bey, he still sought to destroy Beys simply because he wanted to.
His ruthless behavior was first shown when he destroyed Laban's Vise Leopard and Kyle's phone after they tried to read his true nature.
Phi's dark nature stemmed from his youth, when his brother Hyde claimed the Bey that he had originally wanted (which was Dread Hades). This led to him holding a years-long grudge against Hyde, which ultimately culminated in him both breaking and stealing Hades for himself, which he later used to upgrade his Revive Phoenix into Dread Phoenix. When he was finally defeated for good in the season three penultimate episode, he acted like a sore loser by taking his anger at his loss out on his Bey, refusing to understand why he lost.
Phi is a sadist who likes to toy with his opponents, and seems to have mentality of a spoiled child as referring Aiger and other people as his "toys" and saying how he wants to "play" with them to see their despair. So he promised Valt he would save his Beyblade for the last while also destroying the Beys of his closest friends Free and Shu in order to indirectly torment him. During his and Aiger's final battle, Phi made incredibly creepy faces, laughing maniacally, whispering to him in a evil way, and using deadly new moves in an attempt to trap him in a dark void and break him.
Phi has the ability to corrupt his opponents, as he was responsible for causing Aiger's dark power. He attempted to corrupt Shu during their battle, but failed because Shu was able to break free from corruption in the past and knew how to resist it. He later tried to corrupt Aiger again because he ironically cured Aiger's dark power.
Phi starts boasting about being a "god" and think he can control fate and would not loose after obtained Dread Phoenix. But when he loss to Aiger in the final battle, he get into an argument with Hyde because he feel insulted. Luckily, he admitted that he was wrong about some things afterwards.
In the past, Phi and his brother, Hyde were raised in Dread Tower and were of noble birth, but when their butler presented them with Dread Hades and Revive Phoenix, Hyde claimed Hades first, which angered Phi as he originally wanted Hades. Phi demanded Hyde to give Hades to him, but his brother adamantly refused, which made him choose Phoenix instead. This put a severe strain on the brothers' relationship in the present.
- Revive Phoenix 10 Friction: Phi's primary Beyblade in Turbo.
- Dread Phoenix 10 Friction: Phi's upgraded Beyblade in Turbo, which he made using a fragment of Hyde's Dread Hades 11Turn Zephyr'.
- Phoenix Break: Phoenix's Friction Performance Tip's rubber edge grinds against the stadium and gains a huge speed and power boost to deal massive damage.
- Revive Impact: Phoenix jumps into the air using gravity to further increase the speed and power of its fall to crash into the opponent's Bey with amazing force.
- Revive Crush: After a big impact, Phoenix's armor ring gets knocked off. It then crashes down on the Bey while Phoenix smashes into the Bey at the same time, causing serious damage.
- Dread Crush: A stronger version of Revive Crush where, after Phoenix absorbs a big attack its Dread Armor flies off then falls back down on the opponent as Phoenix crashes into the opponent causing massive damage.
- Dread Cannon: When Phoenix's Dread Armor falls on the stadium floor, it can hit it to send it flying at the opponent for a powerful attack. This move also has a variant similar to Dread Gravity in episode 47, where Phoenix rapidly circles around the opponent and traps them in the center by continuously launching its armor at them.
- Dread Cannon Crush: Phoenix uses its Dread Cannon technique to send the Dread Armor flying at the wall; it then ricochets, and hits the opponent at the same time as Phoenix, dealing massive damage.
- Dread Break: A stronger, more powerful version of Phoenix Break.
- Double Dread Cannon: Phoenix knocks the Dread Armor at the opponent, then after it rebounds it knocks it at the opponent a second time, for a double attack.
- Diving Dread Cannon Crush: Phoenix and the Dread Armor hit the wall to skyrocket into the air to hit the opponent with its powerful pincer attack in midair.
- Final Dread Impact: Phoenix uses the wall to fly into the air, then falls back down, using gravity to increase its speed and fall on the opponent like a meteor to do massive damage. It is similar to Revive Impact.
|Beyblade Burst Turbo|
|Aiger Akabane||15||Win (2-0)|
|Ranjiro Kiyama & Hae-jin Oh (Battle Royale)||16||Win (2-0-0)|
|Aiger Akabane, Ranjiro Kiyama, Fubuki Sumiye, Hae-jin Oh, Suoh Genji, Laban Vanot, Xavier Bogard & Kyle Hakim (Battle Royale)||20||Win (16-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0)|
|Aiger Akabane||22||Win (2-0)|
|Ranjiro Kiyama & Kyle Hakim||22||Lose (2-3-0) (On purpose)|
|Kyle Hakim||23||Win (2-0)|
|Laban Vanot||24||Win (2-0)|
|Xavier Bogard||26||Win (2-1)|
|Aiger Akabane||29||Lose (0-2)|
|Aiger Akabane||37||Win (2-0)|
|Free De La Hoya||43||Win (3-1)|
|Shu Kurenai||46-47||Win (3-1)|
|Aiger Akabane||49-50||Lose (0-2)|
One of the Turbo 4, the greatest newcomers to the Blading World, Phi is undefeated and said to possess powers that rival even those of the Champion. It’s rumored that he appeared from the burning heart of a fallen star, but whatever the truth, it’s shrouded in mystery. Phi’s power is unearthly, his cruelty is legendary, and he is feared because his greatest pleasure lies in destruction.
Phi took an interest in Aiger during the Luinor Cup, because of the latter's strong bond with Achilles, and begun waiting for when he would become an opponent worthy to destroy. Phi then corrupted Aiger with his dark resonance while destroying Laban's Vise Leopard, however he broke Achilles by accident in Episode 37. In the penultimate episode of Turbo, Phi called for a Burst-only match and tries to break Aiger's soul, by using different scary strategies, but it was no use and he was defeated.
Phi destroyed Laban's Vise Leopard after Laban tried to read his future.
Phi destroyed Kyle's phone when he tried to cheat. Phi also taunted Kyle many times on the Battleship Cruise.
Hyde is Phi's younger twin brother and both share a condition called Heterochromia iridum. While the two initially had little interaction at first, flashbacks of their past revealed that when the brothers were first presented with Revive Phoenix and Dread Hades, Phi originally wanted Dread Hades, but Hyde claimed it first. When he demanded that Hyde give the bey to him, he refused and kept Hades to himself which left their relationship severely strained. This was even more so confirmed after Phi broke Hyde's Dread Hades and used a fragment from its layer to transform Revive Phoenix into Dread Phoenix. They make up in the final two episodes.
Evel helped to create Phi's new Beyblade and continually shows interest in collecting data on Phoenix.
Throughout the Turbo season, Phi seeks to destroy the strongest opponents, including Valt himself. When Phi later upgraded his Revive Phoenix into Dread Phoenix, Phi began targeting Valt's closest friends, Free and Shu being among them, hoping to cause indirect suffering and despair to Valt. After Geist Fafnir was shattered, Valt challenged Phi to a battle to avenge his friends. However, Phi turned him down, as he planned to save him for last. Then, after Turbo Spryzen was destroyed, Valt challenged Phi again to a battle. This time, he accepted it but Aiger also challenged him. Valt let Aiger fight Phi first. Fortunately, Aiger defeated Phi in the Turbo penultimate episode, thus sparing Valtryek from destruction.
- Episode 13 - Lúinor Cup! Final Battle!
- Episode 14 - Raging Dragon! Brutal Lúinor!
- Episode 15 - Trial By Fire! Defeat Lui!
- Episode 16 - Epic Voyage! Battleship Cruise!
- Episode 17 - Sword of The Legendary Hero!
- Episode 18 - Ghost Ship! Adventure of The High Seas!
- Episode 19 - Super Rumble! Beyathlon!
- Episode 20 - Explosive Flames! Revive Phoenix!
- Episode 21 - Cooperation! Tag-Team Battle!
- Episode 22 - Three-Way Stand-Off!
- Episode 23 - Operation: Protect The Bey Stars!
- Episode 24 - Achilles Vs. Xcalius!
- Episode 25 - Super Dragon! Geist Fafnir! (Dream)
- Episode 26 - The Battleship Cruise! Final Voyage!
- Episode 27 - Road to Glory!
- Episode 28 - Valt Vs. Aiger!
- Episode 29 - Dark Prince! Dread Hades!
- Episode 37 - Turbo Clash! Showdown at The Dark Citadel!
- Episode 41 - Hyde vs. Phi!
- Episode 42 - Battle Royale! Beyblade Heroes!
- Episode 43 - Lord of Destruction! Dread Phoenix!
- Episode 44 - Turbo Training! Xavier's Kingdom! (Illusion)
- Episode 46 - Take Flight! Aerial Showdown!
- Episode 47 - Spirit of Flame vs. Lord of Destruction!
- Episode 48 - Blading Together! Turbo Awakening!
- Episode 49 - Aiger vs. Phi!
- Episode 50 - Aiger's Turbo Resonance!
- Episode 51 - Bonding! Aiger vs. Valt!
- "The pleasure's all mine, Valt. I've come to play." -his first words to Valt in his introduction.
- "Hear my words, Phoenix will destroy all other beys!" - Before the nine Bladers on the Battleship Cruise begin the Battle Royale in Episode 20 of Beyblade Burst Turbo.
- "You will be punished."
- "You have been judged!"
- "When you look at me like that, it makes me want to break you."
- "It seems your eyes have come upon something they never should have seen."
- "Aiger Akabane; simply interesting."
- "I taught you to respect the wondrous art of destruction, shouldn't you say thank you?" - to Aiger after when talking about how he destroyed Valt Aoi's Wonder Valtryek.
- "The time of destruction has come!"
- "Aiger, there's something I've been longing to hear, the sound of your despair!" - when trying to destroy Aiger's Z Achilles in Beyblade Burst Turbo - Episode 29.
- "Aiger, you never cease to amaze!"- after Aiger withstands Phi's Revive Crush.
- "I'm done playing games with you." -to Aiger after Z Achilles breaks
- "I meant it when I said I'd take back everything."
- "Wanting things that belong to others is a bad habit, so I'd suggest that you take care of it."
- "I'm the oldest, so I should have first pick!" -in a flashback when he and Hyde were younger
- "Which between them are stronger?" - asking which bey stronger in a flashback when he and Hyde were younger
- " I want to experience the supply moment when a powerful bey is shattered and no one will stand in my way." - to Aiger in a no title match
- "Impossible, no matter how hard you try, it is your fate to lose to me." - to Free De La Hoya in Beyblade Burst Turbo - Episode 43.
- "You may think you're in control, but Fafnir's fate is in my hands!"
- "It's not your turn yet; I'm saving you for last." - to Valt Aoi meaning he will destroy his Turbo Valtryek after he has destroyed enough beys.
- " That Bey is mine" - To Hyde after he grabs Dread Hades 11Turn Zephyr'.
- "Dread Phoenix is hungry. It craves your destruction." -challenging Shu to a battle
- "I will destroy each and every Bey."
- "I must give you my compliments for entertaining me so. But once I'm finished with you, only dust will remain!" -attempted to engulf Shu in darkness.
- "Now do you know what it means to defy me? Between light and darkness, the strongest of the two is the darkness." -after defeating Shu
- "A true ruler can never be undone."
- "Don't forget. I can destroy you whenever I want."
- "'Bond', you say? How quaint. (breaks into insane laughter) -after Aiger proclaims his bond with Achilles will help him win.
- "Now I shall show you true despair!" - when he unleashed Phoenix's spirit.
- "I am the Lord of Destruction! No one can defeat me or my Dread Phoenix!"
- "You shall grovel before your ruler!"
- "Take this! Diving Dread Cannon Crush!"
- "AIGER AKABANE!!!!"
- "FINAL DREAD IMPACT!!!!!!!"
- "Have you come to mock me?" - to Hyde after losing to Aiger.
For a full gallery images of Phi, see Phi/Gallery.
- His birthday is on a leap day.
- Phi and Hyde both have the same Japanese and English voice actors.
- Phi's and Hyde’s Japanese Voice Actor (Takehito Koyasu) also voiced Boris Balkov and Doji in the previous Beyblade series. It is worth noting they were both the main antagonists of their respective eras, just as Phi is for Turbo.
- Phi's multicolored eyes are the result of a condition called Heterochromia iridum . His twin brother Hyde has it as well.
- His name comes from a letter in the Greek alphabet, (Φ).
- Like Aiger and Valt (previously), Phi owns a gold Level Chip on his Bey.
- He is the first character in the Burst series to have a dark personality and Bey. The second being Arthur Peregrine, and the third being Lain Valhalla. Coincidentally, all three of them wanted to take over the world of Beyblade in their own way and destroy the strongest Bladers.
- He could be considered the Burst counterpart of Rago from the Metal Saga, as they both own a dark powered Bey, and are hard to match.
- Phi is responsible for the destruction of five Beys, more than any in the entire Burst series. It is worth noting that he destroyed Achilles by accident, though.
- The outfit that Phi wears after acquiring Dread Phoenix bears a striking resemblance to Shu's Snake Pit attire.
- Like Aiger, Phi defeated all members of the Turbo 4.
- Phi represents what Shu would be like if he had never been freed from Spryzen Requiem's control, as well as who Aiger would've become had the latter continued on his path of corrupted resonance.
- As revealed in the Manga, Phi's blood type is RH Null, an extremely rare blood group.
- Phi is the only member of the Turbo 4 who does not use a Disc Frame on their Beyblade.
- Phi's zodiac is a Pisces.