Ranjiro Kiyama (黄山 乱次郎, Kiyama Ranjiro), also known as Socho (ソーチョー / 総長, President) in Japan, and as Cap'n in the dub, is the deuteragonist in the anime and manga series, Beyblade Burst Turbo. He is the younger brother of Rantaro Kiyama and the founder and leader of his own team, the Wild Bey Gang. He fights with his Beyblade, Crash Roktavor 11Reach Wedge, which he had upgraded from his brother's Raging Roktavor Gravity Revolve. Ranjiro started Beyblade by the influence of his brother. Ranjiro returns in Beyblade Burst Surge with his newly evolved Lightning Bey, Glide Roktavor Wheel Revolve 1S, which was destroyed by Lain Valhalla, and repaired afterwards.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality
- 3 Biography
- 4 Beyblades
- 5 Battles
- 6 Official Description
- 7 Anime Appearances
- 8 Relationships
- 9 Quotes
- 10 Trivia
- 11 Gallery
- 12 References
Ranjiro's appearance looks similar to his brother, Rantaro. He has huge flattop-style blonde hair, hazel eyes, and a bandage on his left cheek. Like his brother, Ranjiro also has a habit of chewing on a green and yellow lollipop.
In Turbo, his attire consists of a long white jacket with flame designs at the end and on his right shoulder region, an orange shirt, white wrapping around his waist, a pair of pants that are half black and half mahogany, white boots, and a white belt with an R-shaped buckle.
In Surge, he retains his boots, belt and buckle, waist wrapping and jacket, but the flames on the jacket ends are more serrated, a pair of baggy pants now colored half blue and half orange, and a yellow-orange dress shirt. Yet he still has some of his old design with him. His hair has also grown a bit.
It's noted that Ranjiro seems to take after his brother, Rantaro, in some ways. This included being hot headed, especially when his hair is made fun of, as was noticed by Raul Comas, although Ranjiro seems to be more hot headed than Rantaro. This is further proven when he was easily offended by Hikaru Hizashi and Hyuga Hizashi calling him Broomhead and even went to the extreme of chasing them to the Comets Gym. He also demonstrates exceptional leadership skills.
Ranjiro is also very protective of those he cares about, as he accompanied Aiger on his journey to Dread Tower after noticing him being consumed by his obsession with resonance. He is somewhat overconfident as he underestimated Hikaru he was shocked to see Hikaru do a Lightning Launch and was angered in disbelief when Hikaru, managed to knock Glide Ragnaruk out in a draw. He is also very competitive as he competed against Hyuga and Silas Karlisle in a series of physical training and was also quick to declare that he would win in a rematch between Hyuga as well as Aiger.
When he was young, Ranjiro always looked up to his older brother, Rantaro, and strived to be as good as him one day. After hearing form his friend Tobisuke that Fubuki Sumiye had gotten a Turbo bey, he decided to upgrade his handed-down Raging Roktavor into Crash Roktavor. He then set off to challenge Fubuki and his Bey, Emperor Forneus, which he won with little effort. This win impressed four Bladers: Harumi Hijikawa, Benimaru, Gumita, and Jonji to leave the Beigoma Academy BeyClub and led Ranjiro to form their own team, the Wild Bey Gang.
Ranjiro was first introduced in episode 2, where he punched the wall in anger as his entire BeyClub had lost to Aiger Akabane. He planned to confront Aiger to get revenge for the BeyClub's loss.
In episode 3, he challenged Aiger to a battle based on the Wild Bey Gang rule which was that the battle will only conclude once a person gets a burst finish. After 149 battles, after many draws and ring out finishes, both Ranjiro and Aiger were too exhausted to continue battling. They collapsed to the ground and showed respect towards each other before declaring that they both would win, the next time they battle.
In episode 4, he caught Tobisuke red handed trying to smash Aiger's bey. Upset, he reprimanded the entire Wild Bey Gang. Fubuki who heard the incident, insulted Ranjiro saying that he would never acknowledge the Wild Bey Gang as bladers. Ranjiro responded to Fubuki's insult by challenging Fubuki to a rematch which Ranjiro lost to a burst finish. Following this defeat, Ranjiro decided to train with his BeyClub members to get stronger. While training, Tobisuke informed Ranjiro about the rematch between Aiger and Fubuki, so his BeyClub and him went to Beigoma Academy to witness the battle in person. After the battle, he watched the announcement of an upcoming title match between Lui Shirasagi and Valt Aoi on Naru's tablet.
In episode 5, he was seen watching the title match between Lui and Valt live. Harumi told him that they would be watching the battle closely and Ranjiro responded that Valt was going to win.
In episode 6, Ranjiro gathers with other Beigoma Academy's students around Aiger's tent to see what the commotion was about, and wakes Aiger up from his dream of beating Valt and Lui. Tobisuke and Gumita runs to inform them of the Luinor Cup, where the blader who wins the tournament gets to challenge Lui. Ranjiro later rendezvous with Aiger and Fubuki and the three challenge Lui to a battle to which Lui decides to take them all on in a 3 vs 1 battle. Aiger proposed that the three of them put aside their differences and work together, but Ranjiro declines this offer. After a failed attempt at simulating the battle, he decides to work together with Fubuki and Aiger. The three trained hard till they were exhausted, However their efforts were futile as Lui was able to burst all 3 of them.
In episode 7, Ranjiro trains by doing squats while carrying Benimaru. Tobisuke interrupts the training to tell them of an incident at school and the entire Wild Bey Gang rushes to witness Aiger's new training machine. Later, Ranjiro is the first blader to make it pass the preliminary round of the Luinor Cup and also set the high score on the measurement machine, although the high score was later beaten by Aiger, Koji Konda and finally Hae-jin Oh.
Ranjiro returns in Surge with his new Glide Roktavor strikingly similar to his brother's, albeit white instead of orange.
He's shown in episode 10 battling Lain Valhalla. However, he overexerts himself and injures his shoulder. During the battle, Lain destroys his Beyblade. He's visibly distraught, and later explains to Aiger and Rantaro what happened. He denies that he's in pain, but the severity of his injury was too prominent, meaning that he cannot participate in the Legend Festival, and he gives his spot to Hyuga.
- Raging Roktavor Gravity Revolve: Ranjiro's former Beyblade in Beyblade Burst Turbo. It was given to him by his brother, Rantaro.
- Crash Roktavor 11Reach Wedge: Ranjiro's Turbo Beyblade in Beyblade Burst Turbo. It was upgraded from his brother's Raging Roktavor.
- Glide Roktavor Wheel Revolve 1S: Ranjiro's Lightning Beyblade in Beyblade Burst Surge.
- Lightning Launch: When a Blader has achieved complete synchronization with his Beyblade, the Launcher will illuminate and sparkle, granting the bey a temporary increase in speed and power.
- Roktavor Typhoon: Roktavor uses its metal wings to generate upper force and create a twister that repels its opponents.
- Hurricane Counter: Roktavor uses its Reach Disc Frame’s spikes to counterattack a Bey if it attempts to attack. The shape of the Reach Frame allows this move to work against attacks from both low and high angles.
- Roktavor Storm: Roktavor's wings extend out more then they usually do. And with the wings reached out it creates a major windspeed.
- Glide Tornado: Rotating at high speed, Glide Roktavor uses its wings to generate an upward force to create a tornado.
- Double Tornado: The Kiyama brothers' Glide Roktavor Beys combine their Glide Tornado moves to form one large tornado as they spin in complete synchronization.
- Super Tornado: Rotating at an even higher speed, Glide Roktavor channels its momentum to its wings to generate an upward force and create an even larger tornado with energy blades.
- Hyper Tornado: Utilizing the Storm Beystadium's rotation center, Glide Ragnaruk channels its enhanced momentum to its wings to generate the largest upward force and create the biggest tornado powerful enough to lift a Beyblade off the stadium.
|Beyblade Burst Turbo|
|Rantaro Kiyama||03 (Flashback)||Lose|
|Fubuki Sumiye||03 (Flashback)||Win (2-0)|
|Fubuki Sumiye||04||Lose (0-2)|
|Lui Shirosagi (With Aiger Akabane & Fubuki Sumiye)||06||Lose (0-0-0-6)|
|Unknown Blader||07||Win (2-0)|
|Suoh Genji||08||Lose (0-2)|
|Unknown Blader||09||Win (2-0)|
|Aiger Akabane||10||Lose (1-2)|
|Phi & Hae-jin Oh (Battle Royale)||16||Lose (0-0-2)|
|Kyle Hakim||18||Lose (0-1)|
|Xavier Bogard & Kyle Hakim (With Aiger Akabane)||19||Lose (0-0)|
|Aiger Akabane, Fubuki Sumiye, Hae-jin Oh, Suoh Genji, Phi, Laban Vanot, Xavier Bogard & Kyle Hakim (Battle Royale)||20||Lose (0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-16)|
|Xavier Bogard & Kyle Hakim (With Suoh Genji)||21||Lose (0-4)|
|Kyle Hakim & Phi||22||Win (3-0-2)|
|Xavier Bogard||23||Lose (0-2)|
|Aiger Akabane||26||Win (2-0) (Training)|
|Aiger Akabane||26||Lose (0-9) (Training)|
|Evel Oxford||33||Lose (0-2)|
|Aiger Akabane (With Fubuki Sumiye)||39||Draw|
|Aiger Akabane||40||No Outcome|
|Beyblade Burst Surge|
|Hyuga Hizashi||02||Win (2-0)|
|Hyuga and Hikaru Hizashi (With Rantaro Kiyama)||02||Lose (0-3)|
|Rantaro Kiyama||04||Win (1-0)|
|Dante Koryu||09||Lose (0-2)|
|Free De La Hoya and Silas Karlisle (with Aiger Akabane)||19||Win (2-1)|
|Shu Kurenai & Lain Valhalla (with Aiger Akabane)||20||Lose (0-2)|
|Hikaru & Hyuga Hizashi (with Aiger Akabane)||21||Lose (0-4)|
|Wakiya Murasaki (with Aiger Akabane & Dante Koryu)||22||Lose (0-3)|
|Wakiya Murasaki (with Hikaru Hizashi)||22||Lose (0-2+)|
|Valt Aoi & Rantaro Kiyama (with Aiger Akabane)||23||Win (3-0)|
|Dante Koryu & Lui Shirosagi (with Aiger Akabane)||23||Lose (2-4)|
Ranjiro AKA ‘Cap’n’ is the ringleader of the Wild Bey Gang, and younger brother of BC Sol Blader, Rantaro Kiyama. He refuses to accept the idea that there could be any Blader out there stronger than him. Ranjiro’s a stubborn type who believes in his own strength, no matter how many times he loses. But, his sense of honor and brotherly kindness make him a popular guy.
Ranjiro ‘Cap’n’ Kiyama is so self-assured he’ll never admit defeat, even when he’s lost. Whatever swagger his big brother, Rantaro, brings to the table, Ranjiro has it doubled. See: the hair. But big hair doesn’t mean he’s got a big head. With his chivalrous spirit and big-brother vibe, he’s an incredibly popular guy.
- Episode 02 - Achilles Vs. Forneus!
- Episode 03 - Duel at Sunset!
- Episode 04 - Land It! Z Breaker!
- Episode 05 - Turbo Match! Valtryek Vs. Lúinor!
- Episode 06 - Winter Knight! Battle Royale
- Episode 07 - Curtains Rise! The Lúinor Cup!
- Episode 08 - Transformation! Heat Salamander!
- Episode 09 - Swirling Inferno!
- Episode 10 - Achilles Vs. Roktavor!
- Episode 11 - Battle of Betrayal!
- Episode 12 - Bull's-Eye! Archer Hercules!
- Episode 13 - Lúinor Cup! Final Battle!
- Episode 14 - Raging Dragon! Brutal Lúinor!
- Episode 15 - Trial By Fire! Defeat Lui!
- Episode 16 - Epic Voyage! Battleship Cruise!
- Episode 17 - Sword of The Legendary Hero!
- Episode 18 - Ghost Ship! Adventure of The High Seas!
- Episode 19 - Super Rumble! Beyathlon!
- Episode 20 - Explosive Flames! Revive Phoenix!
- Episode 21 - Cooperation! Tag-Team Battle!
- Episode 22 - Three-Way Stand-Off!
- Episode 23 - Operation: Protect The Bey Stars!
- Episode 24 - Achilles Vs. Xcalius!
- Episode 25 - Super Dragon! Geist Fafnir!
- Episode 26 - The Battleship Cruise! Final Voyage!
- Episode 27 - Road to Glory!
- Episode 28 - Valt Vs. Aiger!
- Episode 29 - Dark Prince! Dread Hades!
- Episode 30 - Aiger Goes Wild!
- Episode 31 - Rebirth! Turbo Valtryek!
- Episode 32 - Dread Tower! The Dark Citadel!
- Episode 33 - Trapped in The Dread Tower!
- Episode 34 - Secret of The Fused Bey!
- Episode 35 - Spirit of Flame! Turbo Spryzen!
- Episode 36 - The Darkness Within!
- Episode 37 - Turbo Clash! Showdown at The Dark Citadel!
- Episode 38 - Rebirth! Turbo Achilles!
- Episode 39 - Aiger's Rematch! Unbreakable Bond!
- Episode 40 - Master of The Wind! Air Knight!
- Episode 41 - Hyde Vs. Phi!
- Episode 42 - Battle Royale! Beyblade Heroes!
- Episode 43 - Lord of Destruction! Dread Phoenix!
- Episode 46 - Take Flight! Aerial Showdown!
- Episode 47 - Spirit of Flame Vs. Lord of Destruction!
- Episode 48 - Blading Together! Turbo Awakening!
- Episode 49 - Aiger Vs. Phi!
- Episode 50 - Aiger's Turbo Resonance!
- Episode 51 - Bonding! Aiger Vs. Valt!
- Episode 15 - Invasion! The New King! (pictured)
- Episode 02 - Locked On! Lightning Launch!
- Episode 03 - Persistence! Kolossal Strike!
- Episode 04 - Listen to Your Bey's Voice!
- Episode 09 - Is This a Dream?! Or Is It a Nightmare?!
- Episode 10 - Rise to Victory! Triumph Dragon!
- Episode 11 - The Great Revolution! Legend Festival!
- Episode 13 - A True Hero! Tag Battle Style!
- Episode 14 - Gotta Win! Going All-Out!
- Episode 15 - Defeat Valt!
- Episode 16 - Grand Finale! Valt vs. Lain!
- Episode 17 - Spirit of Fire! World Spryzen!
- Episode 19 - Tag-Team! Ultimate Partner!
- Episode 20 - Raging Battle! Defeating the Storm!
- Episode 21 - The Climactic Legend Battle!/Burn, Flare! Spark!
- Episode 22 - Friendly Fire!? Limit Break: The End!/Next-Level Training! Jet Wyvern!
- Episode 23 - Burning! Manly! A Serious Battle!/Mad Storm! Raging Tempest!
- Episode 24 - No Spark!?/Bonds Between Beys!
- Episode 25 - Confident! Timid? Carefree!?/Surpass Your Limits! The Legendary Wall!
- Episode 26 - It's a Revolution! The Final Battle!/Break Through Our Limits! Our Flare!
Rantaro is Ranjiro’s older brother. The reason Ranjiro became a Blader was because he was inspired by his brother. In addition to this, Rantaro gave his old Beyblade, Raging Roktavor, to Ranjiro. The two brothers appeared to be very close, as shown in a flashback in the third episode of Turbo and in multiple Surge episodes.
In Surge, both brothers still get along well, but Ranjiro seems to not like when Rantaro gives him orders, as he wanted to take Hizashi brothers alone and Rantaro didn't allow him, implying that Hikaru and Hyuga would be a challenge for Ranjiro.
Ranjiro initially head a grudge against Aiger for defeating the members of his team and set out to teach him a lesson. After tying 149 times in a battle, the two eventually came to respect one another. Since then, they have become great friends, with their friendship being similar to that of Valt and Rantaro's. In one instance, when Aiger's Z Achilles was briefly stolen by the Wild Bey Gang, Ranjiro scolded them for it before apologizing to Aiger and returning his bey to him. Later on, when Aiger started becoming obsessed with winning and developed a dark resonance, Ranjiro took notice of this and offered to accompany him on his journey to the mysterious place known as Dread Tower.
In Surge, they still get along well, shown when Aiger called him via phone when he heard that Ranjiro took Lain on and lost to him, resulting in Ranjiro injuring his arm and his Glide Roktavor destroyed, making Aiger develop hatred towards Lain for what he did to Ranjiro.
Ranjiro and Tobisuke were good friends long before the Wild Bey Gang was formed. Tobisuke often followed Ranjiro everywhere and always praised his strength and Blading skills. If anyone ever insulted or made fun of Ranjiro, Tobisuke would immediately defend him. Their friendship was so strong, that he, along with Naru Akabane and Gumita stowed away on the Battleship Cruise, so they could support and cheer their respective Bladers on.
At first, Ranjiro didn't like Hikaru because he and Hyuga called him Broomhead, and Ranjiro called them Bamboo Shoot and Rooster.
He later developed respect for the brothers and built a rivalry against them.
Hyuga is Ranjiro's main rival in Surge. They didn't get along well in the beginning, but Ranjiro later started to see Hyuga as his rival, but due to his injured arm, Hyuga took his place in the Legend Festival, forcing Ranjiro to put his beliefs in Hyuga.
Ranjiro is the cousin of Ranzo.
- "Aw man, the doofus fell asleep!" - After Aiger's match with Xander
- "Akabane will rue the day he messed with the Wild Bey Gang!" -after finding out Aiger defeated his whole team
- "Know what time it is, Fubuki? It's battle 'o' clock!" -in a flashback, challenging Fubuki to a battle with his new Crash Roktavor.
- "What even is that!? Try curry with rice, hamburgers and ramen!" -in response to a disguised Count Nightfell trying to guess his favorite food
- "No need to play it cool. Admit it, you were cheering for us." -upon meeting Fubuki in America
- "The knucklehead had another dream about Phi destroying Achilles."
- "I thought Phi was mean before, but now he's gone way too far." after seeing that Phi with Dread Phoenix
- " So that's why Lord Destructo changed its name to Dread Phoenix."
- "I called that one..." -after finding out that Principal Shinoda got caught up in Aiger's training machine shenanigans again.
- "The sea is bigger than my hair!"- While on the Battleship Cruise
- "Feels like the morning sun's just callin' my name!" - Ranjiro's first line in Beyblade Burst Surge - Episode 02
- Ranjiro possessed the very first hand-me-down Beyblade, which originally belonged to his older brother, Rantaro.
- Ranjiro in Surge was initially a B-Tier blader but after defeating his brother Rantaro, the ranked 15th legendary blader, in the National Training centre Tournament, he was promoted to A-tier and was eligible to participate in the legends festival.
- Also, true to his form, Ranjiro plays the same role his brother played in the previous seasons (Burst and Evolution).
- Ranjiro is the first main character to be the founder of a different team.
- Ranjiro owns a blue Level Chip on his bey.
- Ranjiro is the only one of the four main protagonists of Beyblade Burst Turbo whose Launch Form didn't change later in the season.
- Ranjiro is the only blader other than Hae-jin Oh who participated on the Battleship Cruise whose Beyblade was a Stamina Type.
- In the 2018 character popularity poll in Japan, Ranjiro was placed last as the least popular character.
- Ranjiro's zodiac is a Taurus.
- Ranjiro is the third Burst character to repair their Beyblade after it was destroyed, first being Laban Vanot and his Vice Leopard, and second being Shu Kurenai and his Turbo Spryzen.
For a full gallery of images of Ranjiro, see Ranjiro Kiyama/Gallery.