This is an article about the anime character. For the manga counterpart of the same name, See here.
—Tetsuya, Every episode he appears in
Tetsuya Watarigani (渡蟹 哲也, Watarigani Tetsuya) is a recurring character in Metal Saga, debuting as a recurring character and minor antagonist in Beyblade: Metal Fusion. He is a mysterious blader with an insane personality with an undying love for his former Bey; Mad Gasher CH120FS. With the help of Dark Nebula, he later remodels his Bey into Dark Gasher CH120SF. He also cheats to make his opponents think that he is strong, but it doesn't work anymore. He is obsessed with crabs.
Tetsuya has long messy dark green hair with frayed ends. He wears a small pale lavender vest with dull blue circles and a dull blue hem with a long brown shirt underneath. Tetsuya wears a cape that resembles the shell of a crab. He wears dark blue jeans and also wears gray and white shoes.
Tetsuya has the habit of being quite annoying, and is found to be strange by Gingka and his friends. He also always likes to cheat in battle, but easily gets defeated. At the end of most of his sentences, he usually says "crabby" and tries to make crab puns. At some point he would pretend to feel touched, but in a matter of seconds his old personality shows, and seems unfazed and disgusted in talks of 'friendship'.
Despite his mediocre strength, Tetsuya is shown to be rather clever and quick-thinking, as he changes stratagems and battle tactics mid-battle against tough opponents. He also is rather successful in non battle manipulation, managing to convince Hikaru that Kenta had lied to her, and winning the begrudging trust of the Face-Hunters before Kyoya returned.
When he was younger, Tetsuya seemed to be a nice, kind and soft-spoken person who always admired his best friend Echizen. After his friend ran away in cowardice from Taraba, he let go of all the feelings of friendship he had and only cared about winning using his dirty tricks and cheats and cover every Bey in the world with scratches, like his Mad Gasher. He also loves to ruin things for Gingka and his friends, like when he told Hikaru that Kenta is not the real Gingka so that Hikaru wouldn't want to battle with him anymore. He even hated Gingka so much that he was willing to join Dark Nebula to take him down. But after getting his spirt absorbed to Ryuga he starts to respect Gingka and wishes him good luck in Big Bang bladers.
Beyblade: Metal Fusion
Tetsuya first appears in Metal Bey City, challenging Kenta and his friends to a battle and beating them using unfair means. He then challenges Gingka to a battle, but the challenge is declined due to Tetsuya's cheating in the previous battle. Gingka refuses at first. However, Tetsuya had this covered by keeping Madoka hostage as Benkei Hanawa told him to do. thus forcing Gingka to get into battle. Tetsuya loses the first round but by summoning crabs in the stadium, he is able to win the second match.
During the final battle, Tetsuya covers the stadium in mud, leaving Gingka at a huge disadvantage. Gasher remains unaffected due to its so-called "Special Spin track Change". During the battle Tetsuya, recalls his bitter memories of his friend, Echizen.
He explains, how he protected his friend from the strong Taraba by presenting himself for the battle. The battle covered his Bey in scratches and also his heart, as he gets up to find Echizen missing. Tetsuya vowed not to trust anyone again and by using unfair methods he beat both Taraba and Echizen, leaving their Beys in the same condition as his was and vowing to make all bladers suffer his pain.
Gingka tries to reason with Tetsuya but to no avail, but with a little help from his friends is able to figure out Gasher's weakness, Tetsuya threatens to harm Madoka. Just when the threat could work out, Madoka comes running to Gingka and Co., being saved by Benkei. Gingka then knocks Gasher out with his special move, Tornado Wing.
Tetsuya next appears where he tells Hikaru Hasama about Gingka and how she battled Kenta. When Kenta and Benkei are on their way to block Hikaru's path, Tetsuya gets in the way and launches Gasher at them, refusing to let them pass. A battle between him and Benkei follows, which results in a loss for Tetsuya. However, Testuta told the Face Hunters how Benkei helped Kenta result in Benkei getting kicked out much to the crab bladers joy.
A few days later he is seen entertaining the gang when the Leader Kyoya Tategami returns. Testuya tells Kyoya of how Beneki betrayed the gang and challenges him to a battle to see who will lead the gang. Kyoya beats him easily and disbands the Face Hunters. The gang then chases him for his unfair tackeits with Benkei helping them tie him up.
Later he is seen watching Gingka and Kyoyas battle and cheers for Gingka to get revenge on Kyoya even though that's not what Gingka intended to do as noted by Takashi.
After the battle, he gets run over by Benkei who is looking for clues on Dark Nebula.
He also enters the survival battle, where he tries to force other Bladers to pair up with him, however his plans are thwarted by Kenta, and he is beaten by the combined efforts of Kenta, Benkei, Takashi, Osamu and Akira, disqualifying him from the competition. After losing he pretends to redeem himself but tricks them into falling in the river. At the end he hears about Battle bladers while also getting to battle Gingka's gang in a battle royal losing to Osamu, Takashi and Akira and enters challenge matches cheating to earn points by beating many bladers. One time he told a fake sob story about a crab that was his best friend causing the audience to pity him.
Tetsuya later spots Yu Tendo at a challenge match and follows him to the Dark Nebula. He convinces Doji to make his Bey stronger, who remodels Tetsuya's Mad Gasher to Dark Gasher. With his new Bey, he enters the same challenge match as Benkei and Gingka. He beats Benkei in the semi-finals by acting innocent and helpless and then striking with his special move when Benkei is confused (a technique he calls Operation O) (although he admitted he wanted to save that move for his battle with Gingka). In the finals he battles Gingka, but with Operation O not working against him, and Gingka aware of Tetsuya's weakness, Tetsuya falls to Pegasus's special move giving Gingka the win.
After learning about Gingka's points, Tetsuya decides to steal his points in order to earn himself a place in Battle Bladers and impress Doji by disqualifying him from it. He disguises as Nigel Crabcakes and runs away with Gingkas pointer. He is intercepted by Phoenix, who takes away the pointer and makes him flee. Tetsuya is punished by Doji for stealing Gingka's points by confining him to a room. However, he is called out to battle Tsubasa Otori, revealed to be a traitor now alongside the kmudae bros, Reiki Dan Sodo, and various Dark Nebula Bladers. During the battle Gemios' special move eliminates him from the battle. They all flee once Ryuga arrives.
Tetsuya makes it to the Battle Bladers, where he faces of against Kenta in Round-1. While he wastes his time boasting about a "Dark Move" that he got from training, he is knocked out before he realizes what's going on. He is forced to battle Ryuga and L-Drago alongside Tobio Oike due to this loss. Unable to match L-Drago's powers, Tetsuya is easily defeated, and his spirit absorbed by L-Drago. His spirit returns to him after Ryuga is defeated by Gingka and he is seen celebrating Gingka's victory in the final epsiode.
Beyblade Metal Masters
He is seen trying to win the selection Matches to join Japans team but fails. Later he as well as other bladers from Japan such as Tobio, Ryutaro, Dan Sodo, Reiki Sodo, Osamu, Takashi and Akira wishing Gang Gang galaxy luck in the championships.
Beyblade Metal Fury
Madoka thinks he may be a winter constellation legendary blader, but turns out to be false. He Later gives Gingka his power to stop Nemesis. After Nemesis is beaten, he celebrates along with the rest of the world.
- Mad Gasher CH120FS: is Tetsuya's first Beyblade in both the anime and manga. His Mad Gasher is covered in scratches.
- Dark Gasher CH120SF/FS: is Tetsuya's second Beyblade in the anime, upgraded from Mad Gasher. It is the result of Doji's experiment. Tetsuya also used Dark Gasher in a battle against Gingka and Benkei.
- Track Change (トラックチェンジ, Torakku Chenji): He first used this move on Episode 9 (anime). This allows Gasher to change the height of its track.
- Six Crab Shake: It allows Gasher to attack the opponent's Bey from above, making look as if six crabs are attacking the opposing Bey with their claws.
- Six Crab Sea King: Tetsuya first used this attack on Episode 28 (anime). Dark Gasher's Track changes to 145 in height and the Bey starts pecking at the opponent's. Gasher then leans over and goes in a position similar to Pegasus's Starblast Attack position.
- Operation O: Tetsuya's second special move, he first used this move in Episode 28 (anime). Tetsuya announces the move, and then acts like his opponent is his best friend. He tells the opposing Blader he can't believe his best friend is attacking him, and when they lower their defenses, he attacks with a cheap shot.
|Beyblade: Metal Fusion|
|Taraba||MF005 (Flashback)||Win (cheated)|
|Echizen||MF005 (Flashback)||Win (cheated)|
|Unknown Bladers||Offscreen||Win (cheated)|
|Two unknown Bladers||MF005||Win (offscreen, cheated)|
|Kenta Yumiya||MF005||Win (cheated)|
|Gingka Hagane||MF005||No outcome|
|Gingka Hagane||MF005||Lose (1-2)|
|Kyoya Tategami||MF009||Lose (due to opponents training)|
|Survival Battle Bladers||MF020||Win (cheated)|
|Kenta Yumiya, Benkei Hanawa, Osamu, Takashi and Akira||MF020||Lose (due to opponents ganging up)|
|Osamu, Takashi, Akira, Kyoya Tategami, Benkei Hanawa, Kenta Yumiya, Hikaru Hasama, Gingka Hagane, Hyoma||MF023||Lose (due Osamu, Takashi and Akira attacking him togther)|
|Tournament Blader||MF024||Win (cheated)|
|Tournament Blader||MF028||Win (cheated)|
|Tournament Blader||MF028||Win (cheated)|
|Tournament Blader||MF028||Win (cheated)|
|Benkei Hanawa||MF028||Win (cheated)|
|Gingka Hagane||MF028||Lose (due to opponent using stadium surface)|
|Tsubasa Otori (Tag w/ Dark Nebula Bladers, Dan, Reiki, Kumasuke, Kumata, and Kumaji)||MF035||Lose (due to opponent outsmarting them)|
|Kenta Yumiya||MF040||Lose (wasn't focused)|
|Ryuga (Tag w/ Tobio)||MF042||Lose|
|Beyblade: Metal Masters|
|Selection Bladers||MM004||Win (cheated)|
|Japanese Selection match||MM004||Lose (16th place)|
|Metal Fight Beyblade VS the Sun: Sol Blaze|
|Helios (Tag w/ Masamune, Ryutaro and Tobio)||Lose|
- Episode 05: Vengeful Gasher
- Episode 07: It's Our Special Move! Sagittario
- Episode 09: Leone's Counterattack
- Episode 10: Heated Battle! Gingka Versus Kyoya
- Episode 11: Chase The Wolf!
- Episode 20: Begin! The Survival Battle
- Episode 21: Warriors on the Deserted Island
- Episode 23: The Road to the Battle Bladers
- Episode 24: The Beautiful Eagle
- Episode 28: Dark Gasher's Big, Crabby-Crabby Operation
- Episode 33: The Oath of the Phoenix
- Episode 35: L-Drago, on the Move
- Episode 40: GO, Battle Bladers!
- Episode 42: The Dragon's Punishment
- Episode 44: Entrusted Emotions (Don't confuse with Shogun Steel Episode 36 Entrusted Emotions. )
- Episode 49: Fierce Battle! Lion VS Dragon
- Episode 51: Blader's Spirit
Beyblade: Metal Fusion
- "Hot hot hot...cold cold cold...hot cold hot cold!"
- "So I guess I'm your leader now." - Episode 9 - When he was talking to the Face Hunters after Kyoya disbanded the team.
- His evil laugh: "Kaninininini." - Any Japanese Episode he appears in.
- "Being a senior executive staff member is a tough crab-- I mean-- Job!!" End of Episode 28.
- "Crabby-Crabeeey...Crabby-Crabeeey...CrabCrabCrabCrab-CrabCrabCrabCrab-CrabCrabCrabCraaaaab!!!" - Episode 28 - Tetsuya singing his own version of "Beethoven's Fifth" after having Gasher smashed through the stadium wall by Pegasus.
- "Crabba what?!" - Whenever surprised that something happened that he didn't have in mind.
- "Crab" - his signature word. ``sirado``(Brazil)
- "The Crabs not cooked yet"
- "Crab says wha-"
- "You should've listened to the words in my mind"
- "Now for a crabtastic finish!"
- (singsong) "Oh snap, snapitty, snap snap! Scuttle away! Scuttle! Scuttle!" - Epsiode 5, when running away after distracting Madoka, Gingka, Kenta, and Kenta's friends when asked to apologize for scratching everyone's Beys.
- "Oh yeah, what are going to do about it Crabcakes?"
- "Thank you, thank you. You have my sincerest crabitude."
- "Operation O INITIATE!"
- "The crab that scuttles away today lives to pinch another day!"
Echizen and Tetsuya were previously best friends from their home town. They often played and Bladed together. One day, when Taraba appeared to challenge Echizen, Tetsuya took his place to protect him after seeing how scared Echizen was. However, after Tetsuya was badly beaten, Echizen was nowhere in sight, having ran off in fear. This led to Tetsuya's derangement occurring and his obsession with crabs (which have suddenly appeared around him) beginning. After getting revenge on Taraba by destroying his Beyblade and having his crabs brutally pinch him, Tetsuya did the same thing to Echizen, no longer seeing him as a friend anymore.
Ryutaro Fukami and Tobio Oike
Starting in late Metal Fusion and in the movie, Tetsuya is often seen with Ryutaro Fukami and Tobio Oike despite his attitude towards having friends he displayed earlier in the series.
Starting in Metal Fusion, Tetsuya is often seen to not like Gingka, due to his defeat by him. However he does have a form of respect for him such as when he wanted Gingka to beat Kyoya or when he celebrated his win over Ryuga.
He doesn't really like Kyoya because of his brutal way of battling, and the fact that he hurled Tetsuya away when he tried to become the leader of the Face Hunters. He even came to watch Gingka and Koyas fight telling Gingka to beat him.
Osamu, Takashi and Akira
- He is named after real life wrestler Tetsuya Naito.
- All of his wins were a direct result of him cheating.