Upper Attack is a style of Beyblade attack in which the opposing Beyblade is lifted from the stadium floor. This is usually accomplished by using a part that has a ramp-like slope that reaches under the opposing Beyblade and forces it to ride up the slope until it is no longer touching the stadium floor.
This style of attack is very effective because removing a Beyblade from the stadium effectively reduces its defense to nil. A strong upper attack can toss the opposing Beyblade from the stadium, but it can also be used to lower its defense and hit it while it is not touching the stadium in order knock it out.
Upper Attack Beyblades should focus on maintaining a high spin velocity and being low in height. If the opposing Beyblade has a higher spin velocity, it will be difficult to lift them. If the opposing Beyblade is shorter than yours, getting the attacking slope underneath them is more difficult. Inward or Central Weight Distribution is well suited for Upper Attack as it helps get those high spin velocities and remain stable.
Upper Attack is seldom seen outside of Plastics and HMS as many parts out side of those lack the capabilities to preform it well enough for Attack.
A form of Balance types that use a weak form of Upper Attack are Destabilizers.
Attack Rings for Upper Attack
- Upper Dragoon(Master Dragoon, Kid Dragoon)
- Triangle Wing (Dranzer GT)
- Triple Tiger (Driger G)
- Upper Claw (with Upper Attack SP) (Driger V2)
Heavy Metal System
- Circle Upper (Death Gargoyle MS)
- Samurai Upper (Samurai Changer MS)
- Advance Attacker (Advance Striker)
Fusion Wheels for Upper Attack
Fusion Wheel - Vulcan: The Vulcan Fusion Wheel has a total of two semi-circular prominences and two smaller wings painted with two red stripes that give breath to its design. Upon closer inspection, the two prominences have slight slopes that suggest the Fusion Wheel's capability of Upper Attack. Despite the fact that these sloped areas are major contact points, they do not provide Upper Attack; however, they do provide Smash Attack. Between the two prominences are the two smaller wings, which are also major contact points.
Energy Layers for Upper Attack
- Twin Nemesis: Due to the height of this Layer, the opponent's Layer is likely to contact the slope which will tilt and Destabilize the opponent's Combination, reducing their Stamina and increasing their risk of Bursts from the recoil of Twin Nemesis' elliptical shape.
- The Longinus/Luinor line: Ever since its first release, this line of left spinning attack layers is built for Upper Attacks. The most prominent of these are Takara Tomy's Rage Ring from the Superking layer system, Guilty blade from the Dynamite Battle layer system, and Zwei Layer Base/Hasbro's Zone Layer Base.